I looked at a bunch of different tools for package/config management. None of them do what I would like though (and some are complex and brittle too).
Basically I just want to keep all of the files synchronized with each other, with a few files fixed. It is tempting to want to remote mount /etc, but I worry about performance and reliability of such an approach. Plus I would need to use something like a unionfs to handle the machine specific files.
So, I've been writing a database app that checks the packages that are installed and looks for abnormalities. It isn't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. The next stage is to check the consistency of the files. I've been developing a web interface via Catalyst for this as I go. It hasn't been great, but it seems adequate.
It is surprising to me, how many differences evolve over time.
Another thing that would be nice to have, is a catchup mode to bring a new machine up to speed. For instance I have two machines in the hawkins lab that need to be redone, and I just redid two in the redcay lab.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment