Server was crashing for a couple of days in a row. The apparent cause was all of the workstations running updatedb at the same time. This became a problem because for some reason updatedb was no longer ignoring nfs mounted systems. So, for the time being I've disabled updatedb, and server is not crashing...
Actually things did not go that smoothly though. Initially I thought there was a problem with server, so I tried upgrading it to edgy. Well the xserver packages did not play nice and the whole upgrade did not work, so I ended up with a postgresql complaining that UTF-8 was not installed and it would not run without it. Well, as far as I can tell it is installed. So I messed around with reinstalling postgresql a couple of time and tweaking config files to no avail.
Now, I'm running dpkg-reconfigure -a on server
yuck, hopefully it will finish sometime today and things will work again.
I've tried googling for the answer, but no one else seems to have encountered this problem.
...
Yuck, finally got it finished. It seems that the problem was in libc instead of locale. And ultimately the problem was that it was the wrong version, but since libc is so central to the system it fought with me about downgrading everything. It seems to be sorted out now. Yuck
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment