Saturday, October 13, 2007

Starting out with Java by Gaddis

I had high hopes for this book based on the subtitle of from control structures through objects, but so far I have been disappointed. Instead of focusing on the design/control structures of a program it has begun with equal treatment to objects and the other nuts and bolts of running programs. Superfluous topics like combined assignment operators are included, and the order of precedence charts are wrong.

Chapter 3 is better, but still has extra topics like the conditional operator and printf.

Chapter 4 is ok, I would prefer to focus on only one type of loop to start.

I didn't look at detail at the rest of the book. In some ways I think I might prefer a book that used a restricted subset of Java and was algorithm oriented. A different language like Python or Perl might also be more palpable, but is not an option at this point.

No comments: