Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ubuntu Feisty upgrade

I've been working on upgrading the machines to feisty, with mixed results.
unix - the easiest of the bunch, no problems
www - was running fedora, and then forgot how to talk to anyone outside the subnet,
I suspect that somehow the networking config got messed up, which is weird
because I haven't touched it at all. I wanted to reinstall anyways, so it is
better now
server - not so good. I was going to save this one for last, but it started crashing
with kernel panics. I'm hoping there isn't a hardware problem. Anyways
I got half-way through the upgrade, and it started bogging down and having
lots of problems with responsiveness. I had to reboot, and it did not come
back up. After struggling with a rescue disc and trying to get it back up
I eventually succeeded. I'm not sure if it was part of the problem, but
mdadm and evms might have been part of the problem since I could not
boot to the kernels that they had messed with. (That bugs me, they should
not be messing with the kernel images without first asking).
hawkins 053b - somewhat messy. I've had to log into them individually to work on
the update, and they have had some problems. My next step is to
write some software to log their current status to a central db and
then try to do something to get them all synchronized.
I'm also working on getting them authenticated against the kerberos
system. I met with Symen and Shawn last week, and now need to get
the query part working.
office - went ok, nothing too exciting

No comments: