Monday, August 07, 2006

Hawkins 53b

9:32
Starting in Hawkins today.

First thing I need to do is see how they are doing the ldap and then check out the general config.

9:49
Here's something interesting, in nsswitch.conf they use
passwd: files compat ldap
I wonder why the extra compat is there...

I think I'm going to copy etc and maybe some other directories over to www

problems ssh to the machine, I guess I'll just get one working and use the others for reference in the meantime.

Actually, since there are 'too many', maybe I'll leave one configured the old way until after classes start....

9:57
starting test installation
one annoying thing is that I'll have to mess with the bios twice on each machine, once to enable booting from the cd and once to disable it.

I don't think there is any practical way around it though since I want to redo the filesystems also...

9:58
CD is checking itself for defects,
stats from slackware are Jan 20, 2005
896 MB memory (probably more actual)
3GHz pentium 4 processor
These are Optiplex 280
40 GB hard drive
ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache

10:03
still checking, not sure if it is stuck or not,
the progress bar keeps moving, but it hasn't moved from the file it is checking
I'll give it a few more minutes...

10:06
wonderful, google, ubuntu and probably others are down

connectivity is kinda up (and down)
cd finished checking ok, onto the install

10:18
That is different, the regular install disk boots up as a live cd and then you do the install from there.

10:38
Interesting, the partition manager does not seem to easily/default support lvm, like the other ubuntu installers did

nothing obvious on the web, there is an erase option, which I'm trying.
It does not say it is lvm, but it does not ask, so I'll try it and see what happens.

10:56
base install there, now to see what we got

No comments: