Saturday, August 05, 2006

server install

15:31
I've checked the filesystems for changes from yesterday and there were none.
I've backed everything up to www, but I'm still nervous about it

I need to move the monitors around so I can have it on the desk

15:36
time to get started, first the bios
and the jet engine takes off...

this one is set up as raid-5

nothing too surprising here, it actually has the same amount of ram (1GB, that slackware had recognized)

hopefully the raid will work here also...

15:40
trying the rescue a broken system first just to see if that works
so far so good

15:43
seems to be hanging on nic-firmware retrieval...
rebooting and trying to clean the disk

15:46
checking cd for defects....

16:04
I'm not sure if my clock jumped or I zoned, but I lost about 10 minutes
anyways, it failed, I'm going to try the server disc instead and see if that works
otherwise I'll need to burn a new one

worst case I might be able to install from the network, yuck...

16:07
checking this one for defects...

16:08
a quick failure, blech...

one more time...

16:09
fail

going to make a cd, probably be at least a half hour

17:43
Saw Jim in Redcay, talked
could not find image, started downloading, but eta on the download is 23:00 ish
trying to copy from cd...

17:49
going to try a network boot...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

18:22
still working on a network boot

had to go get a router out of the network lab because the arp requests were blocked

or not, the arp requests are still timing out, I'll try installing an arp server...

18:33
not sure if arp is the problem
server is complaining about tftp...

18:44
booting up into slack ware, will check to see if I can get it to work off of a floppy I found...

this site was useful with respect to pxe error codes
http://www.emboot.com/faq-pxe.shtml

19:05
floppy boot failed

going to try pxe boot again, then maybe trying burning new cds, just in case

checking to see if there are any bios upgrades

nothing interesting in the bios stuff

19:30
going to try burning...

19:38
download still a half hour away...
I tried cleaning the disc off again, at this point if this reboot does not work, then I'm calling it a day and trying to get the cd drive repaired.

20:19
I caved and went back to try the other cd
it seems to be working so far

20:21
I'm committed, the filesystem is gone

20:42
still chugging...

20:48
got ssh installed, going home, will get the copies started from there

No comments: