Monday, August 21, 2006

sound problems

9:03
arrggh,

It seems that installing all of the kde stuff (probably artsd in particular) has hosed the gnome ability to do sound. The kde capability is still working, but gnome does not see the sound card.

10:28
still messing around with it. I've been editing the /etc/esound/esd.conf file and the /etc/asound.conf file, and tried installing alsa-oss package. I tested it on the live cd and things work there, so if I do no get it working soon, I'm going to start uninstalling packages until it work.

10:46
still no luck, trying to uninstall kubuntu and see if that helps things...
a scarier prospect might be that it stopped working because of one of the updates...

starting a fresh install on another machine to check out the possibility that it was an update

10:59
looks like it a permission problem
tried just changing /dev/dsp and that is not enough though...

11:10
ok, found all of the audio files and chmoded them, I'm reinstalling kubuntu and then will reboot and test again, hopefully it will go well.

If so, then I think I am ready to start imaging and propagating.

No comments: